Navigating Adult Services

Agency Contact Information Target Population Eligibility Services Offered How to Access Services


(888) 652-7062

Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation Adults (post-secondary) with a documented permanent disability that impacts their ability to seek, secure, and maintain employment, and High School students two years prior to expected exit
  • Physical or mental impairment
  • Impairment impedes employment
  • Ability to benefit from services
  • Services are necessary to overcome employment barriers
  • Vocational counseling
  • Assessment
  • Vocational education (e.g., college or technical/ business school)
  • Job placement services
  • Job skills training
  • Driver evaluation training
  • Supported Employment
  • Work related books, tools, licenses, and rehab technology
  • Referral to outside agencies for additional supports
  • Complete signed application
  • Documentation of disability
  • Availability to participate in assessment and training process
  • Comply with requests of VR counselor


(716) 847-3516

New York State Commission for the Blind Children and adults who are legally blind are eligible for vocational rehabilitation services
  1. Legally blind visual acuity is 20/200 or less in the better eye

Or Vision field of 140 degrees or less in the better eye

  • Have one or more physical or mental impairments that keep them from working
  • Need rehabilitation services to get or keep employment
  • Benefit from services
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Training for Employment
  • Business Enterprise Program
  • Programs for older adults
  • Programs for children
  • *Services provided in home, community, and private rehabilitation services
  • Counseling and guidance to family
  • Advocacy services
  • Education consultation
  • Vocational coordination
  • Complete signed application
  • Documentation of disability
  • Participate in initial interview
  • Provide necessary reports
  • If eligible, work with a counselor to develop a plan for services and/or employment


(800) 487-6310

Office for People with Developmental Disabilities Children and adults with a documented developmental disability

Documented developmental disability (prior to age 22)

  • Intellectual Disability
  • Autism
  • Cerebral Palsy
  • Epilepsy
  • Neurological Impairment
  • Closely related conditions that limit intellectual functioning
  • Parent advocacy training
  • Service coordination
  • Family supports services and financial counseling
  • Residential Support
  • Supported Employment
  • Community support services (in-home support, respite)
  • Self-determination
  • Environmental Modifications (adaptive equipment)
  • Healthcare (Medicaid)
  • Phone call to DDRO
  • Documentation of a developmental disability
  • Complete Admission packet submit to local DDRO eligibility determination


(716) 816-2001

Office of Mental Health Children and adults with a documented mental health diagnosis

Children (before 18):

  • Severity of Problem Presentation
  • Immediate need based on following dimensions: Psychosis, ADHD/Impulse Control, Depression/Anxiety, Oppositional Behavior, Anti-Social Behavior, Trauma
  • Persistent home and school problems (2 yrs)
    • Risk Behaviors
    • Caregiver strengths/needs

Adults (over 18):

Diagnosed SPMI (Severely and Persistently Mentally Ill) by a licensed mental health professional.

Children and Adult Services:

  • Clinic Treatment
  • Day Treatment
  • Family Support Services
  • Functional Family Therapy
  • Home and Community-Based
  • Services Waiver
  • Intensive Case Management (Medicaid)
  • School-Based Mental Health Services
  • Single Point of Access
  • Supportive Case Management
  • Application to County Department of Mental Health
HHUNY/ CHHUNY Health Homes of Upstate New York
(855) 613-7659

Children’s Health Home of Upstate New York
(855) 209-1142

Adults who have Medicaid and/or Medicaid with chronic medical conditions

Children and youth who have active Medicaid and chronic medical conditions


  • Medicaid recipients
  • Meet one of the criteria:
  • Two or more chronic health conditions (examples: asthma, diabetes, heart disease, substance disorder)
  • A significant mental illness
  • Living with HIV/AIDS


  • Active Medicaid
  • Meet one of the criteria
  • Two chronic conditions
  • Serious emotional disturbance
  • Complex trauma

*If you receive OPWDD services or are eligible for OPWDD services you will not qualify for Health Home services*

Six core services:

  • Comprehensive Care Management
  • Care Coordination and Health Promotion
  • Comprehensive Transitional Care
  • Individual and Family Support
  • Referral to Community and Social Support Services
  • Health Information Technology

Work with a Care Coordinator to help

  • Get involved in activities
  • Obtain essential needs
  • Learn about community activities
  • Help keep everyone involved in your care connected to working toward your goal
  • Develop a care plan to address all your needs


  • Call 1-855-613-7659
  • You will be directed to your local Care Management Organization to complete an application and consent form



  • Call 1-855-209-1142
  • You will be directed to a local Care Management Organization


College Disability Services

Individual college websites

Collegiate Consortium of Disability Advocates

WNY College Connection

Adult college students who have a documented disability that requires they need accommodations in order to have equal access to education
  • Self-declare disability
  • Documentation of disability, that includes:
    • a diagnosis of your current disability
    • the date of the diagnosis
    • how the diagnosis was reached
    • credentials of the professional
    • how your disability affects a major life activity and how the disability affects your academic performance

Accommodations Examples

  • Note taker
  • Enlarged print material
  • Extra time on tests
  • Tape record classes
  • Textbooks on tape
  • Computer voice input/output
  • Alternate test locations
  • Test/Assignments in electronic format
  • Interpreter
  • Self-declare disability at the Office of Disabilities Services at the college
  • Documentation of disability


(716) 836-0822

Independent Living Center Individuals with disabilities and elderly individuals Independent Living Center
All disabilities. Check with local provider regarding documentation requirements.

Independent Living Centers

  • Client Assistant Program
  • Peer counseling
  • Housing assistance
  • Advocacy
  • Information and referral
  • Living skills training
Contact your local ILC
Other Services Department of Labor (DOL)
(716) 851-2600

Department of Health (DOH)
(716) 858-7690

Youth and adults looking for employment

Anyone with a health-related concern

Universal Access

Services are available based on an individual’s disability or medical concern.



  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Career Services
    • Finding a job
    • Planning your career
    • One Stop services
  • Worker Protection


  • STD Clinic
  • Obesity prevention
  • Eating disorders
  • Substance abuse prevention
  • Pregnancy planning
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
Contact local office

Contact local office

Sign up to receive our latest events, news and resources.

Come Visit

Parent Network of WNY
1021 Broadway Street
Buffalo, NY 14212

Contact Us

Family Support Lines:
English – 716-332-4170
Espanol – 716-449-6394