Exercise Your Right to Vote
Step 1: You must register to vote before the general election deadline.
- Deadline for General Election:
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day. Received 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day
- Qualifications to register to vote:
- Must be a United States citizen
- Turn 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file the form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general election in which you want to vote)
- Must be a resident of this state and the county, city, or village for at least 30 days before the election
- Must not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
- Must not claim the right to vote elsewhere
- To register to vote, get and fill out the voter application form:
- In person at your county board of elections
- At any New York State Agency-Based Voter Registration Center
- At the Department of Motor Vehicles, either in person or online if you already have a DMV-issued identification
- By mail (form can be requested or can print from online)
- Call 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter
Step 2: Get educated. Knowledge is power.
- Watch and/or attend the debates held by the
- Know the candidates and research their
- Talk to people you trust and know to help you understand the candidates’ views and what they are saying they will fight for if
Step 3: Exercise your right to vote
- Look on your voter registration card and go to your assigned location the day of the
- Use your advocacy skills to get help, ask for any accommodations, or get assistance that you need at the voting
- Cast your vote!!
Parent Network of WNY
1021 Broadway Street
Buffalo, NY 14212
Family Support Lines:
English – 716-332-4170
Espanol – 716-449-6394