Skip to main content
Information and Resources

Need help paying for child care?

By June 29, 2022No Comments

The New York State Child Care Assistance Program (NYS CCAP) helps eligible families with some or all of the cost of child care. Each Local Social Services District (LSSD) manages the CCAP with funding and support from the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).

How to apply:
If you would like to apply for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), contact the LSSD that manages the CCAP where you live to request an application.

To find your local agency’s contact information, you can search for your local social services district in our contact list: County Departments of Social Services

Eligibility requirements:
Families may qualify based on income, reasons for needing day care, and a child’s age or individual needs.

Income requirements:
Here are the maximum amounts a family can make and still qualify. While this information can be a helpful tool, families should submit an application to their LSSD to find out if they qualify. Income is only one factor to qualify for child care assistance in New York State. Other families may also qualify, based on their specific needs.

Family SizeAnnual Income Limit*see table footnoteMonthly Income Limit
Income limits for eligibility by family size.
Annual Income Limit numbers are 200% Federal Poverty Level (FPL), effective 06/01/22 – 05/31/23.
For larger family sizes, please reference 22-OCFS-INF-05.

Activity requirements:
Currently, the CCAP is available for most families who need child care to work, look for work, attend employment training, attend an education program, and/or meet income requirements. Contact your LSSD for the most up to date information about what service needs or activities may qualify to meet this requirement.

Family Share (also called Family Copay or Family Fee):
If you qualify, you may need to pay a portion of the cost of care depending on your situation. If you qualify for CCAP, you will receive a notice of approval that includes whether you have a family share, how much it is, and how to pay it. Failure to pay your required family copay, may cause you to lose your eligibility.

Click here for more information on how to receive assistance for child care