A new graduation option is available for students with disabilities who, because of their disability, are unable to demonstrate proficiency (passing) even with testing accommodations, on one or more of the other three Regents examinations required for graduation.
To be eligible for the Superintendent Determination, students must achieve a minimum score (55) on the English Language Arts (ELA) and Math Regents examinations. This option is open to students with disabilities with a current Individualized Education Program (IEP) only. It does not apply to students with section 504 accommodation plans or students who have been declassified from special education.
Superintendent must verify the following eligibility conditions
- The parent or guardian must send a written request to the school principal or Commission on Special Education (CSE) Chairperson to be considered for this graduation option.
- Student has a current Individualized Education Program (IEP) and receives special education programs and/or related services.
- Student does not meet the graduation requirements through the low pass option (score 55-64), safety net option or the compensatory option.
- Student has passed the class and received course credit.
- Student has scored a minimum score of 55 on both the ELA and Math Regents or a successful appeal score between 52-54.
- Student has participated in other Regents exams (science and social studies) but has not passed one or more as required by graduation.
- Student can demonstrate (show) graduation level competency (meets the requirements) in the subject area where the student was not able to show their proficiency through the Regents exam.
The Superintendent, in consultation with the principal, will review, document and provide a written clarification that the student has shown to otherwise meet the standards for a local high school diploma.
If the student is eligible for this option the district must provide prior written notification that the student is no longer eligible to receive a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) after graduation with a local diploma.